Thread: Bigbend, Burdekin River recon

Bigbend, Burdekin River recon

Went on a day trip/Recon to Bigbend on the Burdekin river 30km North East of Charters Towers last weekend to suss out the potential for a future camp.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/mypla...=-600&t=h&z=15

Headed West from Townsville via Herveys Range Road for about 150km till we hit the Gregory Development road then turned left & headed towards Charters Towers for about 70km till we saw the street type sign saying Bigbend on the left.
    Dirt road for 700m to Lolworth Creek Ford, you can camp here but it's pretty cut up not a huge amount of room to camp.
    Fording the Creek and travelling 1km will take you to Bigbend on the Burdekin & as you can see from the satellite link, tracks will take you to all the areas on the inside of the bend where camping areas abound.
    There is some deep sand & tight turns here so I wont be taking the Camper here, a tent will do for a weekend, & I don't think I will do a long weekend here as it looks like a popular place and a 4wd hoon magnet.
    I'll do a decent trip report once I spend a weekend here

Frank

Views toward Townsville from Herveys Range Lookout

A lot of the range is taken up by an Army Training Area

Balancing act

Sign near Gregory Developmental Road turnoff

Section of the GDR

A couple of locals

Lolworth Creek

Section of Bigbend

Looks great mate. There is a bit of water there.
    That view is a cracker
    Living The Dream

Looks like a great place, love the sign "camping and water reserve" Those two terms are mutually exclusive if you ask the WA government, not eaven allowed to drive through the water reserves except on gazetted roads let alone camp in them. Pitty because there are 100's of beautiful places within the Darling Ranges close to home that I would love to camp at.

Great looking area, luv that first pic.
    Look forward to seeing more sometime in the future, and Clermonts just down the road do you ever
    go for a scratch searching for some yellow ?
    "They walk amongst us"
    THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW, THAT THEY DO NOT KNOW

dno.

Looks great , whats on the menu in the river
    Thanx for looking

Andy and Anne

100's Cruiser / Supreme Territory

VKS-737 mob - 1157

porta loo challenged , " The what goes in the where ??? "

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Looks great mate. There is a bit of water there.
    That view is a cracker
    The last photo there Darren you can just see the water in the Burdekin and it's at about 1.5m but once or twice a year it gets to around 17 metres and closes the highway between Townsville & Charters Towers which is a massive amount of water & if you've ever crossed the Burdekin you will understand the volume of water this river can carry

Quote Originally Posted by offcampn View Post

Looks great , whats on the menu in the river
    I'll be hunting some Yabbies which I'll feast on & spinning for some Sooty Grunter which I'll throw back as they taste a bit muddy for my liking but are fun to catch

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    Looks like a great place, love the sign "camping and water reserve" Those two terms are mutually exclusive if you ask the WA government, not eaven allowed to drive through the water reserves except on gazetted roads let alone camp in them. Pitty because there are 100's of beautiful places within the Darling Ranges close to home that I would love to camp at.
    Yeah some states seem to go a bit OTT with there protection laws Burnsy but we're pretty lucky here in Qld as I reckon we have pretty good access to water courses & if you want to fish you don't need a license unless you fish in impoundments, a lot of the good country is locked up by cattle farms but if your prepared to do some research and a bit of exploring there are some great places here,
    many people bitch about the Wild River laws Anna Blight enacted but it doesn't affect the average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by dno View Post
    Great looking area, luv that first pic.
    Look forward to seeing more sometime in the future, and Clermonts just down the road do you ever
    go for a scratch searching for some yellow ?
    I've done no prospecting yet dno but intend to do some with my brother on the Gilbert River west of Einasleigh as soon as we can access it late in the next wet

That'll make for some good reading, look
    forward to hearing about.
    "They walk amongst us"
    THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW, THAT THEY DO NOT KNOW

dno.

Thread Information